Fire in Barton Ruled Accidental

The cause of a fire in Barton is ruled accidental. According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office the fire broke out at about 7:54am in a two store single family home on High Street in Barton on March 24th The fire started in the basement due to an improper use of a space heater. Two occupants sustained smoke inhalation and all the occupants refused medical care. The fire cause about 30 thousand dollars in damage.  Firefighters rescued an occupant from the second floor window after the occupant was unable to exit the home due to the fire. The American Red Cross is assisting. According to Allegany County DES five residents occupied the structure at 18913 High Street, Barton, only three were home at the time of the fire, according to Bowman. Two were able to escape without issue. “County EMS personnel stationed at Tri-Towns EMS evaluated the victim that was trapped,” Bowman said. “All occupants refused medical care and no transports were made from the scene.”The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating and the Red Cross has been notified.  Units from Barton, Lonaconing, Bloomington, Midland, Westernport, Piedmont, Keyser, Tri-Towns EMS and Allegany County Department of Emergency Services responded.