The Allegany County Health Department will offer walk-in COVID-19 vaccinations on the ground floor of the Willowbrook Office Complex (12501 Willowbrook Road, Cumberland, MD) on Wednesday, July 28 from 9 a.m. to noon. Both the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccines will be offered for those age 18 and older.
ACHD reports that 40.4% of Allegany County residents are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 compared to 58.1% of all Marylanders.
Allegany County COVID-19 Case Statistics as of July 20:
• New COVID Cases: 0 (cumulative total 7,078)
• Additional Deaths: 0 (cumulative total 212)
• Cases Per 100,000 Population: 1.42 (Maryland: 2.95)
• Positivity Rate: 0.66 % (Maryland: 1.65%)
The Mineral County Health Department was notified that the COVID-19 variant of concern (B.1.617.2 Delta) has been detected in a COVID-19 specimen from a resident of Mineral County through routine public health surveillance.
Current advice regarding this variant:
• Viruses constantly change through mutation, and new variants of a virus are expected to occur over time. Multiple variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 have been documented in the United States and globally during this pandemic.
• This variant has been reported to spread more easily between people than other variants of the virus, including B.1.1.7 (Alpha).
• There are preliminary data showing minimal effect on the ability of antibodies from vaccinated people to neutralize the B.1.617.2 variant. Importantly, studies indicate that vaccines authorized for use in the United States are effective against this variant.
• The best way to slow the emergence of new variants is to reduce the spread of infection by taking measures to protect yourself. These include: a) Getting a COVID-19 vaccine, b) Wearing a mask and avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated indoor spaces until
you are fully vaccinated, c) Washing your hands frequently
• Taking steps to reduce the spread of infection creates fewer opportunities for new variants to develop. Learn how to protect yourself and others when you’ve been fully vaccinated.
If you would like COVID-19 vaccine, please call 304-788-1321 for an appointment.